For hundreds of years, we have celebrated the New Year. Nowadays, all around the world we celebrate by coming together to count down the last few seconds of the current year, and welcome the new one in with firework displays, music, and a glass of bubbly! Many of us go on to further solidify this ‘new beginning’ by creating resolutions. Common goals include aiming to eat more healthily, take up a new sport, or even read more books. But what about giving your skin some TLC?
New Year? New You!
When it comes to beauty resolutions, by February, after the flourish of party season, many of us can find ourselves slipping back into old habits. However, with a little extra organization and some all-important motivation, you can use the New Year as a time to become the New You!
Finding a Routine and Sticking to it
In a university study on New Years’ Resolutions, Professor Richard Wiseman and his team found “those who failed [to achieve their resolutions] tended not to have a plan, which made their resolution soon feel like a mountain to climb”.1 The study indicates that by finding a routine, we can more easily slot new habits into our lives, making the transition gentler and less shocking to us.
Slow and Steady Wins the Race
If you have spent most of your hair removal days shaving, you may not be quite ready to jump straight into permanent methods like laser or IPL. Big changes in habit can seem daunting, so you may find it better to ease into things slowly. While shaving may have been a quick and easy way to get rid of unwanted hair, it can also lead to coarse regrowth within a couple of days.
Waxing, on the other hand, can leave you smooth and hair free for up to four weeks at a time. If you would like to incorporate waxing into your New Year’s beauty routine, take a look at our tips below which should help to ease you into your new routine.
Your New Waxing Routine
- Light exfoliation is a great way to get rid of dead skin cells that could potentially cause ingrown hairs. It is also a great way to prepare for a wax as removing dead skin cells can make it easier for each hair to be grabbed by wax. For the best results Veet recommends exfoliating 24 hours before any treatment.
- Make sure your hairs are at the right length, if the hair is too short then the wax won’t grab it.
- Before you wax, have a nice long shower or bath. The warm water is not only relaxing, but can also help to open the pores, making for easier hair removal. You could even bring in some essential oils that can help you feel more relaxed.
- When you’re going for Veet Cold Wax Strips, it’s important to remove hairs against the direction of growth.
- Have a handy pair of tweezers on hand when you wax. Instead going over the same area too many times, any missed hair can be quickly grabbed with a simple tweeze.
- Veet Cold Wax Strips also come with Veet Perfect Finish Wipes, which can be used to remove any remaining wax and leave your skin smooth and moisturised. Be sure to incorporate these in your new Veet routine!
- No matter what method you go for, keeping up routine is definitely important when it comes to hair removal. Don’t be discouraged by a long list of beauty resolutions. A simple change to your hair removal routine can really help you feel like a ‘new you’ right up to the next countdown.